Industry speakers and chute-side discussions are part of the Wyoming Sheep Seminar in Powell May 10-11.
A late afternoon session is at the Park County Fairgrounds Monday, May 10, then sessions move to Fowler Farms for the morning of Tuesday, May 11.
“This program is an opportunity for any and all sheep producers, a flock of five head to thousands, with the main focus on nontraditional operations,” said Jeremiah Vardiman, University of Wyoming Extension educator in Park County. “There is a classroom session the first evening at the fairgrounds, then the following morning we will be chute side for some hands-on discussion. Make sure to bring along lawn chairs and dress appropriately for the weather.”
Reservations to estimate numbers of handouts and food amounts is requested by May 3 to 307-754-8836.
“This is going to be a great lineup of speakers, focused on the small producer scale and niche marketing of hair sheep,” said Vardiman. “There are a couple key industry speakers who will provide the latest information on niche sheep markets and ultra-sounding equipment. The diversity of topics should provide information for anyone.”
May 10 sessions at the fairgrounds are:
- 4 p.m. – Cover Crops: Annual Mixes into Perennial Pastures, Caitlin Youngquist, UW Extension educator
- 4:30 p.m. – Crossbreeding Options for Hair Sheep, Tom Murphy, geneticist USDA-ARS Meat Animal Research Center
- 5:15 p.m. – Why Wyoming Wool Growers Needs Your Voice, WWGA representative
- 5:30 p.m. – Carcass and Sensory Characteristics of Hair Sheep, Cody Gifford, UW Extension meats scientist specialist
- 6:15 p.m. – Dinner
- 6:45 p.m. – Markets and Niche Markets, Kiley Hammond, marketing and procurement agent for Capra
May 11 sessions at Fowler Farms are:
- 9 a.m. – Developing a Custom Mineral Program, Whit Stewart, UW Extension sheep specialist
- 9:30 a.m. – Ultrasound Technology to Help Determine Pregnancy and Carcass Traits in Sheep, Eric Geving, Precision Ag Services
- 10 a.m. – FAQs on NSIP-Estimated Breeding Values (EBVs), Stewart
- 11 a.m. – Sustainable Internal Parasite Management in Sheep, Stewart